Monday, May 12, 2008

Spring Birdwatching

A couple weeks ago I wrote an article about Waterfowl I.D. After spending time in my shop it's nice for Jet(my Black Lab) and I to get out and do a little birding. There was not much for waterfowl at this location, although the Yellow Headed Blackbirds were everywhere! Beautiful bright lemon yellow heads and loud as ever. They were squabbling over territory's and females and who knows what else. In the background (literally) there were 2 pairs of Ruddy Ducks. The males sporting electric baby blue bills that are absolutely stunning and in such a tight little stiff tailed package. They are amongst the darlings of the waterfowl world. I must say they are better looking than they are to eat. Maybe I just got a bad one, don't know but I am not much interested in trying another. There were also a couple pairs of Canada Geese who had their territory staked out and a few Mallards. Spring has been late in getting to Central Oregon this year and the nesting activity is reflective of such. I look forward to warmer days and more feathered friends returning. So if you get some time, get out to your local wetlands, pond or slough and check out the bird activity. Perhaps you'll add a new species to your life list! Oh, and don't forget your binoculars.

Women's Hunting Journal Integrity For The Hunt

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails