Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Pheasant Stew


This recipe came to me via my friend Jackie. When I saw it said crock pot, I was there in a heartbeat. I made this recipe yesterday and it was very good. The Pheasant fell off the the leg and wing bones and had a wonderful flavor.

Ingredients:

2 Pheasants, boned out
2 cans chicken broth
1 can tomatoes in chipotle sauce
4 garlic cloves
1 yellow onion
2 red potatoes
1 broccoli floret
16 oz. crimini mushrooms
olive oil

Seasoning:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1Tbls. pepper
dash paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery powder

Directions:

Bone out the pheasants as best as possible, I left the thighs, drumsticks and wings whole.
Toss in a paper bag with seasoning and shake well then put into skillet and brown for a few minutes. Then place in crock pot.

Next slice the onion and leave as rings, quarter the mushrooms and chop the garlic. Place in skillet and saute when pheasant is done. Then add to crock pot and turn crock on H.

Next pour the chicken broth in the skillet to deglaze then add to crock.
Then add the Tomato Chipotle sauce.
Add broccoli and potatoes chopped /diced as you like and cook on high for 3 hours, followed by low for 2 hours. Find a pheasant leg and make sure the meat falls off the bone, then you are done.

This recipe is easy and delicious. Best of all, I was able to freeze a couple containers for a quick and easy dinner or lunch. Bon Appetit!

Jet and I are headed to Klamath tomorrow and hopefully we'll find some waterfowl. My shop work is complete for now so off we go for a pre Christmas duck and goose hunt. I hope to have some stories for you all when we get back. Have a great weekend everyone!

Women's Hunting Journal Integrity For The Hunt

3 comments:

murphyfish said...

Hi Terry,

Well talk about coincidence, my brother in law Wayne just dropped off a brace of plump pheasant yesterday, guess it couldn’t be a better time to try a new recipe out. Thank you for sharing this.

Regards from N. Wales

Anonymous said...

That sounds real good if only I had a pheasant.

gary said...

I'm like Rick, all I now need is the pheasants. I hear them over on the nieghbors, but somehow they don't wander over here much anymore, fast learners I guess.

Related Posts with Thumbnails